[MCR] Kutetl Creek, Selkirk Mountains near Whitewater Ski resort

Subject: [MCR] Kutetl Creek, Selkirk Mountains near Whitewater Ski resort
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:01:22 -0800
Spent the day skiing under blue skies in the Kutetl Creek drainage behind Ymir Peak above the Whitewater Ski resort. We were on a mostly east aspect and our elevation range was from 2300m down to 1800m. Air temperatures ranged from about -20C at the lodge in the morning to -12C just before noon at our lowest elevation. The wind was calm in the valley and light from the north-east on the ridge tops.

Surface hoar has been growing up to 20mm mostly in the trees below 2000m. Most of it was lying flat on the surface, perhaps wind or the warmth from the sun knocked it over.

The crust from the most recent warming event was evident, though the new snow on top had enough carry to keep us from crunching down on it. The skiing was excellent top to bottom, even off the summit of Half Dome with only the first few turns in wind-pressed snow. Traveling up was fast with ski pen being only 10-15cm.

In a snow pit dug below Half Dome at 2250m on a north-east aspect we found an old buried surface hoar layer down about 80cm. Stability tests produced no results even on this layer. It did fail with a clean shear though, when the column was pulled off by hand.

Rider traffic increased throughout the day as two other parties joined us in the Kutetl drainage. Ymir bowl was looking pretty tracked up by the time we skied back to the resort. A small slide came out of the Dog's Leg, probably triggered by a rider. Couldn't tell if it was from a slough, a slab or a cornice fall.

Enjoy the sun tomorrow, looks like the clouds will be back on Wednesday. Play Safe.

Craig Hollinger,

ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.