[MCR] Selkirks, Sorcerer Lodge

Subject: [MCR] Selkirks, Sorcerer Lodge
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 15:40:57 -0700
From Jan 29-Feb 5 we skied at Sorcerer Lodge in the Selkirks, just northeast of Glacier Park.

Our primary concern all week was a weak layer of decomposing and fragmented particles that are facetting, and which is now buried down about 40-60 cm. This layer was found most places but was only an issue in alpine and exposed treeline areas where a harder layer of wind slab sat on top of it. These windslabs are now buried by about 30-40 cm of soft snow.

At the end of the week another windslab was formed on the surface when we got about 20cm of snow combined with moderate to strong southwest winds. These new windslabs will be found on lee and crossloaded slopes at treeline and in the alpine.

There were some large cornices in the alpine and we limited our exposure to them.

We didn't see signs of deeper instabilities even though there is surface hoar down about 150 cm and facets at the bottom of the snowpack. That said, we still treated large, steep and smooth alpine slopes with caution.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide