[MCR] Rogers Pass

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:01:29 -0700
We just finished 5 days in Rogers Pass, skiing in the Connaught, Asulkan, Hermit and Bostock zones. We haven't been at higher elevations since Wednesday but suspect that there will be some soft windslabs on crossloaded and immediate lee slopes at treeline and in the alpine. We found no significant avalanche concerns in all the areas we visited but we steered clear of where the wind would have affected the snow.

The exception to this is that we are still leaving steep, complex alpine terrain alone due to continuing concern over the weak facet layers at the base of the snowpack at high elevation areas but we felt that many of the regular alpine ski lines were OK.

Avalanche conditions may change with the coming storm bringing snow and warm temperatures but the absence of layers in the present snowpack could mean the coming instabilities may be short lived.

Oh, and the skiing was faaantastic.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide