[MCR] Watchtower Basin Unnamed 2600metres

Subject: [MCR] Watchtower Basin Unnamed 2600metres
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:56:47 -0600
Jim and I up today into Watchtower Basin near Medicine Lake south east of Jasper. Skied up summer trail to upper creek in 2 hours.

Always looked at this nice NE low angle ramp that leads up to a 2600ft summit on the true left side of the Basin. This peak forms the left side of Watchtower Basin. Upper slopes were low angle up to 25 degrees and led down through a nice open bowl and boulder field and back to the creek. Most of the terrain is less than 20 degrees. In general at treeline the snowpack is about 120-130cm....just enough to keep you floating!

Upper run is close to 700 metres and most of it was good skiing, until you get back down close to the creek. Some of the westerly or southerly slopes were sun crusted with sugary snow underneath. The summer trail had an old track in it which was better than we thought for coming down. Survival skiing for the last 200 metres of elevation.

We noted some localized whoomphs in some of the flatter shallower areas in the upper bowl.

Some of the S-SW aspects across from the parking area at Watchtower have released as well as some activity on the Medicine Lake Slabs.
Felt like winter up high....spring down in the trees.

This is a great trip, over 1000 metres elevation gain from the road and about 8 kms one way. Probably best done a bit earlier in the season, and pick a good snow year! Certainly an aesthetic line and maybe a possible new classic in the Jasper area?

Peter Amann
Mountain Guiding
Box 1495, Jasper AB, T0E 1E0
780 852 3237