[MCR] Athabasca North Face, June 11

Subject: [MCR] Athabasca North Face, June 11
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 19:32:53 -0700
A friend and I climbed the North Face route on Athabasca today, June 11.  We had no freeze at lower elevations (+5 at 2:30 am at the parking lot), trending to a light freeze above 2900m which made for a breakable crust and good step kicking on the steeper face.   The crux pitch consisted mainly of ice with two short iced-over rock steps (see photo).  A few shorter ice screws were useful on this pitch.   We descended the AA col which was still in good shape around 1130 am, although had seen some wet snow avalanche activity from previous days.  Overall, good travel conditions on Athabasca today.

Ian Jackson
ACMG Assistant Rock & Assistant Ski Guide