[MCR] West Coast Trail

Subject: [MCR] West Coast Trail
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 00:13:32 -0700

I came off the Wet Coast Trail yesterday and think it is noteworthy to mention it was muddy.

I mean serious extensive mud on the South East end. I don’t have many trips on this trail, but last year the route was in far drier and better shape.

As always the majority of the route which can be done mainly on beach is in great shape.

I guess the last 8 months of wet weather has saturated the ground so some flatter areas have taken on a boggy look with lots of surface water.

In particular the trail from Km 56 (Logan Creek) to Km 70 (Above Thrasher Cove) needs mentioning.  This area was a maze of mud pools, roots, and many damaged wooden walkways. If I was to go back tomorrow I would consider either using high cut waterproof cork boots, or just biting it and walking through the puddles instead of trying to stay dry hopping from wet wood to wet root risking a sloppy rough belly flop.  It is nasty in there right now.

On the plus side there is no shortage of fresh drinkable water anywhere on the trail.

Dave Sarkany