[MCR] Rockies, Haddo Peak traverse.

Subject: [MCR] Rockies, Haddo Peak traverse.
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:41:50 -0600 (MDT)
My fellow guides, Carl Johnson and Richard Howse, and I guided a traverse of Haddo Peak from the Sheol/Haddo Col to the Haddo/Aberdeen Col, with a descent down the North Aberdeen Glacier today. We used the normal gully to gain the low point of the Sheol/Haddo Col and it has melted out to a dirty, muddy, ice gully that works but is not the most pleasant climbing. I think gaining the highest snowfield, and then traversing on a snow ledge to the ridge would be a better quality climb right now.

The bergshrund below the Haddo/Aberdeen Col is quite open right now, but a different guiding party got through it today en route to Aberdeen. We rappelled the ice tongue of the N Glacier off of Abalakovs and had no rockfall later in the day, about 4-5 PM.

Happy trails,

Barry Blanchard

UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Canmore, Alberta, Canada