[MCR] Mt Edziza

Subject: [MCR] Mt Edziza
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:48:26 -0700
The summer of 2011 has been very wet and cold throughout northern B.C., and Mount Edziza is no exception. On a recent trip, we turned around halfway through the traverse due to rain and high winds and much snow above 1800 m. We made no attempt on the summit as it was in storm clouds all the time. There is no ice showing on the glaciers we could see. The creeks were all very low. The two bridges in Chakima Creek are out and that creek needs to be waded at low elevations where the rain would make it rise. The trail from Buckley Lake to Eve Cone has been brushed recently and there are few deadfalls. The boardwalk near Buckley Creek is at the end of its useful life and needs attention when walking over it. There are few visitors to this park now and the solitude is great. North Pacific Seaplanes operate the fly-ins and pickups out of Tatogga Lake, about 400 km north of Kitwanga on Highway 37. Their website is not user friendly, but the pilot can be reached at 250-234-3140.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
IFMGA/ UIAGM Mountain Guide - Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet