[MCR] Sale Mountain, Selkirks, Nov 16

Subject: [MCR] Sale Mountain, Selkirks, Nov 16
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 07:27:01 -0800
Hi Folks,

Hope all enjoying the great winter we've got going on!

Up at Sale Mountain yesterday (north of revelstoke) - a few snowmobilers and LOTS of sled assisted ski tourers and snowboarders from as far away as Vancouver and Calgary.  Cold too - high temperature recorded was -11.

Profile on NW Asp at 2000m today, in an open treeline 32 degree roll.  Evidence of north winds in the previous 24 hrs.  145cm of snow on the ground with a moderate resistent shear down around 40cm (CTM16-18, RP), likely the new snow/old snow interface and a hard but sudden shear down almost 1 meter on old rounding surface hoar to 10mm (CTH22-30, SP). Pretty well settled snowpack for this time of year, we didn't get the sled stuck once which tells you something about the firmness of the pack already. I would not want to be in the wrong place if that surface hoar layer decided it wanted to wake up so, in this area anyway, I'd be looking for the surface hoar on any sheltered, steep north facing bowls, etc.

Great skiing - felt like mid winter up there.

A super day out...

Ian Tomm
ACMG Ski Guide
Canadian Avalanche Association/Centre