[MCR] Hero [K]nob, K-Country, AB Rockies

Subject: [MCR] Hero [K]nob, K-Country, AB Rockies
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 14:40:54 -0600
With the warm overnight temps in Canmore last night, we left town early to be up the south facing slopes before the forecasted sun warmed them too much.  Fortunately there was a good freeze of 40cm deep on the valley approach.  Lots of slopes in this area have avalanched, but there was still plenty of overhead hazard remaining.  The surface crust easily supported our final boot-pack on the ridge to the summit.

I found two buried crusts at the top of the Sweet Sixteen run (north aspect) down 25cm & 45cm.  However they were stubborn to react and the bonds are gaining strength.  Skiing was quite good with some thin easily breakable windslab and soft snow underneath.

We were happy to be back at the car before noon as the day was heating up as forecasted.   We shared the tour with another group who also finished nice & early.

Ken Bélanger
TopCog Adventures Outdoor Guiding & Adventure Travel
ACMG ASG, CAA2