[MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columb

Subject: [MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columbia Mountains issued May 10th, 2012
Date: 10 May 2012 17:31:14 -0000

ACMG Mountain Conditions Report Summary for the Rockies and Columbia Mountains issued May 10th, 2012

It is looking like a fine weekend to get out in the mountains. If the forecast is correct it will be definitely be warm enough to rock climb. With some good planning and travelling with your eyes wide open it may also be fine weekend for some corn or shallow north facing pow skiing and maybe even some fast alpine climbing.

>From my window the North and East face of Rundle and Ha Ling are still holding some snow so rockfall could be a big factor on those kinda routes. South facing front range rock with no snow slopes above it would be desirable on long routes. All the low elevation crags and canyon routes should be mostly dry except for the seasonal weeping. Creeks and rivers seem low right now in my limited observations but daytime highs of 20+ celsius may well change that.

Skiing and alpine climbing could be excellent if, as I mentioned before, you have a good plan and everything is as you hoped it would be.

My main concerns would be

1. A good overnight freeze-these May nights are short so don't be too surprised if you only get a crust and not a real "full depth of the snowpack-can't start an avalanche without a hydrogen bomb" kinda freeze. Don't get surprised if things get soft sooner than you "hoped".

2. Timing- if the forecast is right it will be WARM and SUNNY at some point- It is still early in the spring so the odd REALLY BIG spring avalanche may well occur somewhere if the heat gets turned up to "high".

3. Cornices-the big temperature swings from a cold night to a hot afternoon will have the beasts creaking and groaning. Most will hang in there-a few will come crashing down.

4. Rockfall from snowed up rock- Expect some rockfall when the sun and the daytime warmth are feeling good on your hands and making that snow all slushy and gravitationally challenged.

So plan well, observe well, have a sound plan B and a fine weekend!

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide

These observations and opinions are those of the person who submitted them. The ACMG and its members take no responsibility for errors, omissions, or lapses in continuity. Conditions differ greatly over time and space due to the variable nature of mountain weather and terrain. Application of this information provides no guarantee of increased safety. Do not use the Mountain Conditions Report as the sole factor in planning trips or making decisions in the field. Please check out http://acmg.ca/mcr for more information.