[MCR] Kananaskis – Mt Fable

Subject: [MCR] Kananaskis – Mt Fable
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 18:56:09 +0100
Yesterday (May 21st) I climbed the South Ridge of Mt Fable with a friend. We encountered sections of snow on the ascent and descent requiring an ice axe, but crampons weren’t required due to mostly good foot penetration.

Old size 3 avalanche debris was encountered on the approach up Fable Creek from a slab avalanche triggered by a cornice fall from an east aspect near the West col. This avalanche already entrained much of the snow in the creek, but there is still the potential for more avalanches to run into the creek triggered by cornice fall (photo attached). This hazard can be avoided by staying on the climbers right of the creek in the scree.

Alex Geary

ACMG Ski Guide & Apprentice Rock Guide