[MCR] Sol Mtn, Monashees

Subject: [MCR] Sol Mtn, Monashees
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:11:34 -0700
Just back from guiding a week out of Sol Mtn Lodge. Nice place, some great tree skiing. Flew in on the 26th, with ~40cm over the last part of that week, about another 40cm over the week till March 2.

Early in the week south aspects were reactive with some older natural avalanches visible from during the storm (Feb 23-24?) The Feb 20 sun crust was easily remotely triggered, lots of whomphs and 2 remote avalanches size 1-2. We had a small size 1 partially bury a skier on a small short slope. That Monday (Feb 27) was warm and things were delicate. Lots of sluffing on steep south aspects till mid week. It cooled and cleared by March 3 (-15C) and the south aspects formed a new crust. Stable but not good skiing.

On north aspects numerous tests showed only moderate compression tests in the new snow down ~ 20cm.( some preserved light fluffy snow covered with heavier warmer snow) Hard compressions tests were found on the old facet layer ( CT 20-27,) which was the surface a few weeks ago.) They were not clean results.
We ski cut some steep N facing pockets with only minimal sluffing.
Alpine was wind affected and variable slabs on all aspects.

We saw no significant avalanches on North aspects all week, either natural or cornice triggered. Didn't see anything of significance either on the flight back to Revelstoke, March 5.
Early in the week we rated stability F-P/F/G    by the end it was F-G/G/G.
We thought a lot about the Feb 20th layer and though not reactive, still is a significant factor and can easily change from pieces of terrain.

Peter Amann

Peter Amann
Mountain Guiding
Box 1495, Jasper AB, T0E 1E0