[MCR] The snowy rockies

Subject: [MCR] The snowy rockies
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:22:11 -0700
I have been cruising around Kcountry and Banff the last few days and it is a very snowy world along the divide. Lots of snow and wind and warm temperatures(over 35cms of recent storm snow in 24hrs at Tryste Lake)(strong SW winds all day in Sunshine area) and lee slopes in the treeline and alpine are fat. My biggest concern is the big start zones above ice climbs like the Bourgeau's, Mt Dennis and Parallel Falls.

The skiing is great but the usual caveats about shallow rocky areas, steep slopes etc apply in a big way right now and steep terrain anywhere but in the ski areas is a really bad idea. Even the sloughing in steep terrain will probably be huge for a few days.

The big avalanche cycle will probably be on thursday but conditions may only improve slightly if at all for the weekend. Keep an eye on the CAC and Parks bulletins.

Be Good

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide
Canmore