[MCR] Rogers Pass March 20-22nd

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass March 20-22nd
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:07:49 -0700
Spring arrived in Rogers Pass with a sweat on yesterday
.
Very warm temperatures in the past 72 hrs and clear skies Monday have created a crust on all except pure North facing slopes. The big south faces in Connaught ck and the Hermit must have a savage crust on them. They might become corn with a couple of clear days but right now they would just be awful.

The Illecillewaet glacier was wind hammered from Pearly rock down on Tuesday. Lookout col looked OK. Upper Youngs Peak was totally skied out on Tuesday as was the Dome and the terrain below the Asulkan hut. Lots of room and probably still decent snow on the Asulkan glacier from the Asulkan Pass and below Sapphire col.

Good skiing on the Bonney Moraine today but spooky soft slabs in places. There was a skier triggered size 2.5 there a few days ago and it didn't feel like it had gotten any better. The Bonney trees were OK but lots of tree bombs down at 1pm and falling fast all day.

The avalanche danger rose dramatically today with the daytime heating. (9c at the Loop Brook trailhead at 2pm)

Not much good news I am afraid. I won't be rushing out to the Pass untill something changes.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide