[MCR] Cascade Range Mt. Shuksan June 1-3/06

Subject: [MCR] Cascade Range Mt. Shuksan June 1-3/06
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:57:49 -0700

I was on Mt. Shuksan June 1-3 via the Sulphide Glacier.

Trail was clear until 4,000 ft. where it became snow covered – there is some pink flagging strewn about once the trail disappears but basically just continue straight uphill from where you lose the trail – caution for holes and hollow spots by buried trees etc. – until you reach the ridgecrest then just head right along the ridgecrest.

The glacier is still well covered but holes are beginning to open up on the main route – of the most concern hazard wise was the large slabs of snow falling off the rock slabs (known as glide slab avalanches) that loom above the traverse to the upper camps – I suggest that once you cross the last bit of exposed scree, rather than following the main track in the snow as it traverses upward, just drop down slightly (maybe a hundred feet) to a lower bench to traverse under the hazard area – there is still a fair bit if snow hanging up there so be alert no matter what way you travel.

Lots of people still skiing the glacier – main gulley on summit pyramid still has some snow in it – I dug out the solar toilets at both upper camps – temps where hot the whole time with no real freeze overnight – however the snow is still supportive and foot steps are only ankle deep.

Scott Davis

Mountain Guide