[MCR] Mt. Victoria July 2-3

Subject: [MCR] Mt. Victoria July 2-3
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:06:21 -0600
July 2: Lake O'Hara to Abbot to Abbot Pass. Still some snow on the trail, but going fast. Generally good step kicking. Warm temperatures at the hut into the evening. Some wet, dirty slides rumbling off the E face near the hut in the evening (see July 2 picture).

July 3: S ridge to main summit, descent via Huber Glacier and ledges.
Poor freeze overnight with high overcast. No crampons needed until snow ridge halfway to S summit, where wet snow over ice in spots. The snow is melting back fast and the rock shelf on the Lake O'Hara side can be used in many sections all along the ridge already. We chose the snow ridge where possible though, to avoid the steep gully tops, which were still soft from the day before. The feeble crust only carried in a few sections, one of them being the Sickle, which is formed broad and easy this year (see picture "A"). Below the crust the snow was wet. We broke through the tracks from the previous day about half the time.

The ridge to the main summit had surprisingly few cornices and they do not pose a problem, easy to get around. However, we got to play in some vertical slush on the sections just before the summit (see picture "B").

The descent gully to Huber Gl. is still well connected, with a shin scraping crust just holding things together. The debris cone made it easy to get over the schrund (see picture "C"). Postholing on the glaciers below. Crevasses are starting to sag on the upper glacier, but they are easy to avoid so far.

Kobi Wyss
Mountain Guide

Keep unwanted email out.
Visit www.spamsubtract.com for more information.