[MCR] Mt. Sarback area

Subject: [MCR] Mt. Sarback area
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:41:08 -0700
Tried skiing around Mt. Sarbach today and found the worst quality skiing I have had this century. +6C at 930am at the road (approx 1650m). Ski penetration to the ground in the trees. Very marginal travel in the open began around 1750m and the air temp was +7c at 1pm at that elevation.

Profile at 1750m showed 30cms of moist settled snow on 80cms of facets. The snowpack was below 0c from 10cm down to the ground but is very weak.The travelling conditions will improve quickly when temperatures cool down. We will still have a winter snowpack(albeit a very good winter snowpack)in the Rockies and spring conditions aren't here yet.

If you are considering skiing in the next couple of days I would, at least, recommend watching the temperatures in the weather forecasts and trying to start high and stay high until it cools. Me, I am going to catch up on my reading.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide