[MCR] Cerise Creek

Subject: [MCR] Cerise Creek
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 22:44:21 -0700
I was up in Cerise Creek area for the last two days.  Very heavy precip yesterday - Rain up to 5700', and over 30cm of new snow accumulated that day above this elevation.  The storm cleared in the evening.

Today saw numerous size 2+ avalanche debris that where associated to early through late storm activity.  Also there was debris from a Size 3+ avalanche off Joffre that slid to within 300m of the usual winter route to the Cabin.

Today the ski quality above 6000' was good in wind effected soft slab snow.  Below this elevation the frozen rain crust was supportive of a skiers weight and had 5cm of new snow on it. The air temp at Keith's Hut at 8am was -5.

At Tree Line the upper snow pack is made up of wind effected snow that is well bonded to the March 17th crust.
Today I rated the Hazard/Stability for Tree LIne as: Considerable/Fair-Good. At Below Tree Line elevations as Moderate/Good. I never went to into the Alpine but have to call it: High/Poor but quickly stabilizing out.

Dave Sarkany

Ski Guide