[MCR] Hector lake area

Subject: [MCR] Hector lake area
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:03:56 -0600
Skied in the Hector lake area today. It felt a bit spooky out there today with the recent snow and wind. The snowpack felt wildy variable even over a small area with wind transport of the new snow being just part of the variety. There is a crust just below the last storm snow that gives it an appearance of consistency and a feeling of strength.  However, there was also lots of variety in the middle of the snowpack. Just probing around we felt a huge variation in the snowpacks crusts, soft and hard layers and depths. No single issues stood out in our tests but it was simply not very confidence inspiring.

Check out the Banff park avalanche bulletin from today. Skier accidental size 2.5-3 on Bow Peak. Yipes! Despite the date, it ain't springtime yet above 2000m in the Canadian Rockies.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide