[MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Summary issued June 14th, 2207

Subject: [MCR] ACMG Mountain Conditions Summary issued June 14th, 2207
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:11:07 -0600
ACMG Mountain Conditions Summary for the Rockies and Columbia Mountains issued June 14th, 2007.

It feels like summer in the valleys but I was ski touring without skiis above 2000m in the shade at Lake OHara today. Along the divide in the Rockies, southerly facing open terrain is mostly snowfree to approx.2300m. In the forest and on northerly terrain there is still a significant snowpack above 2000m.

It was mostly sunny at OHara today and we saw LOTS of BIG loose snow avalanches. East aspects started running around noon and north and west aspects started around 2pm and ran till at least 6pm. Avalanches were mostly starting around 3000m and running to as low as 2100m. I saw 5 avalanches big enough to bury me and all my friends today.

The past 3 nights have been cool with below freezing temperatures at 2350m at Parkers Ridge. The overnight freeze at OHara was just barely enough to make travel excellent up and down Mt Schaeffer today. It could be worth trying to get into the alpine along the divide this weekend for some low angle objectives. However, the latest weather forecast for most mountain regions is unfortunately a bit on the warm and moist side. I would strongly recommend you pay attention to the overnight skies and temperatures and have a good plan B for a night with a poor freeze or if anything more than a sprinkle of rain happens. Intense radiation or a good rain event to 3000m could trigger another big wet snow avalanche cycle. Stay well away from big snow and ice faces unless we have an excellent overnight freeze and you are moving really fast. Snowcover on the glaciers is still excellent. Cornices are still large above 2500m but have probably seen lots of melting below that elevation.

East of the divide conditions have again improved a great deal in the past week. Most east slope classics are in great shape or are at least more wet than snowy at present.

Rivers and creeks are still high and running water under snowpatches remains a real hazard.

Technical alpine climbing is probably a really bad idea for a while. The big faces are still slushy, gullies are generally in poor shape, cornices are huge and rockfall is probably horrendous when the melt is happening.

No reports were available from the Columbias but you can assume reasonably similar conditions would be found in the alpine there with perhaps more new snow in the past few days.

Finally, there have been a few large rockfall events observed in the past weeks. I don't think the sky is falling but we should at least take it as a reminder that it is always a good idea to minimize the time we spend unsheltered under big cliffs. A helmet is a great thing but only overhanging rock or perhaps a stand of mature trees is protection against real rockfall.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide