[MCR] skier triggered avalanches in the monashees

Subject: [MCR] skier triggered avalanches in the monashees
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 23:02:38 -0800
In one part of the Monashees,(North of the Trans Canada highway, west of the
Perry River and East of the Anstey Arm.)the last few days warm storms have left
50- 70 cms snow at treeline above the November 24th snow surface. This surface
is a crust on southerly aspects and a variety of cold snow grains on shaded
slopes. They are all potentially reactive to skiers. It is impossible at this
point to say when the potential for skier triggering will decrease, but it will
certainly be my main concern for the next few days at least. This layer is deep
enough and widespread enough that it can produce LARGE avalanches.

As an example, today I ski cut, on purpose, a small slope at 2100m that produced
an avalanche 50cms deep by 10m wide. The failure propogated for 300m from a SE
to a NE aspect and produced a class 3 avalanche. We also had numerous natural
avalanches up to size 2.5 in the past two days. The skiing was good today but we
will be skiing simple moderate angle terrain far away from big alpine faces
until we feel confident conditions have improved.

Emjoy the potential good weather this weekend but be nervous, very very nervous.

Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide