[MCR] Howsons 5 December 07

Subject: [MCR] Howsons 5 December 07
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:01:12 -0800
A short trip to the Solitaire Meadows today showed 100 cm at the lodge and 180 cm at 1500 m. There was almost constant whumpfing and cracking, some over longer distances, as long as we were below timberline in sheltered areas. I suspect that there is surface hoar buried under the last 30 cm of snowfall. We saw several size 1.5 to 2.5 soft slabs in a variety of aspects and elevations. They seemed to be 24 to 36 hours old and about 30 cm deep. Ski cutting steep E and S slopes did not produce any avalanches, however. We dug a pit at 1500 m and found a faceted layer 30 cm down that produced shears. We saw no surface hoar in that pit, which was just above timberline. There was a crust 120 cm down and the temperature gradient was rather strong. The snowpack structure is much less stable than it was at this time last year. At -11 degrees and deep soft snow, the skiing was good but slow.

--
Christoph Dietzfelbinger
IFMGA/ UIAGM Mountain Guide - Bear Mountaineering and the Burnie Glacier Chalet