[MCR] Valemount area

Subject: [MCR] Valemount area
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:17:25 -0700
Just back from an AST course in Valemount, 2nd day on Mica Mountain where the snowcat skiing takes place. Valley bottom pretty bare,2500 ft) 10cm. At about 4200 ft we found 65 cm and a quick test showed only hard compressions at the ground. there are variable melt/rain crust around this elevation but they disappear higher up on the ridge crest. At treeline we found about 75-90 cm. Our tests showed only a surface instability down about 10cm (compression test easy 2-4)and a hard compression at the ground. (both N and S aspects )

The surface instability though not significant at the time is now buried with the storm cycle we are all witnessing today. this could become quite reactive depending on what happens, and should be watched for!

Our limited observations should be noted. the area is just north of Valemount, near Tete Jaune, on the edge of the Premiers. Many areas are reporting buried surface hoar which though we didn't see, are definitely out there. Driving home last night to Jasper it was very windy! about 15cm in Jasper this morning......

Just the intensity of this storm should make us all cautious for a while to come.

Peter Amann

Peter Amann
Mountain Guiding
Box 1495, Jasper AB, T0E 1E0