[MCR] Pemberton and Duffy Lake areas

Subject: [MCR] Pemberton and Duffy Lake areas
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 21:21:55 -0800
I spent the day working for Coast Range Heliskiing in the mountains around
Lillooet Lk. We went to the Saxifrage area as well as to the peaks east of Mt.
Curry.

The skiing in the alpine was really good particularly in the Curry area. At
around 1800m or the upper end of Tree Line the ice crust left after Mondays
rains could sometimes be felt under ski. Further down at 1500m we were pretty
much on a solid 20cm ice crust with a dusting of new snow.

The snow pack is a very variable early season layer cake that was really
effected by the this weeks monsoons. We did not see any recent avalanche
activity, but there was plenty of older slab and debris.
At the end of the day we called the Alpine stability Fair/ or in terms of
hazard Considerable (but we didn't really see much becouse of clouds). The Tree
Line as Good/ or Moderate. The Below tree line as Very Good/ or Low.

There is plenty of good quality skiing out there you just need to get high
enough -out of the valley.

Dave Sarkany

Ski Guide