[MCR] Icefields Parkway snowpack

Subject: [MCR] Icefields Parkway snowpack
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:21:51 -0500 (EST)
Hello Everyone,

    I went ski-touring with two clients up towards Crowfoot Glacier,  via the Bow Hut approach canyon on Dec 30th. We dug a test pit on a West aspect at 2400m on a protected 30 degree slope in the trees below the moraines. It revealed a generally shallow (85cm) weak snowpack with an easy shear down 50cm on mature facets.

 Today Steve Holeczi, Tim Haggarty and I went skiing in the Hector Lake area ( about 10km SE of the previous location). We dug a test pit on a Southwest aspect at 2200m on a protected 33 degree slope. The snowpack here was 135cm average depth. The interface down 50cm was still visible although not as weak at this location. However we got a clean shear (SP) down a 100cm on another weak faceted layer. We were able to keep  our skiing to smaller features on supported slopes.

  The great snowpack of the 2006/2007 winter is but a memory now.  In the areas  I've skied this season,  Selkirks, Purcells  and Rockies, it seems to be a highly variable colder snowpack with persistent weaknesses.

Its a good winter to use your skills,  and be highly aware of the integrity of the snowpack you are travelling on,  and the terrain on which you apply it.

Have a fun and safe winter,

Andrew Langsford
Alpine Guide/Asst. Ski Guide