[MCR] Rogers Pass area

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass area
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 14:59:09 -0700
Spent Jan 2 and 3 in the Rogers Pass area. We skied Corbin Pass (treeline S aspect) and McGill Shoulder (treeline W aspect). Max elevation was 2100m.

Up to 10 cm low density snow fell during the 2 days. Max temps of about -2. Light winds not transporting snow.

At Corbin there was up to 120cm of Fist resistance gradually stiffening to Pencil resistance snow atop a few cm of 1 Finger resistance rounding facets; this combination lay atop the December 5 crust which was also 1 Finger and had facetted but had larger grains than the layer above. Some minor wind effect at ridgeline on McGill shoulder but no real slabbing was noted once we dropped into our line.

The November crust was alive and well at the base of the snowpack at Corbin, 50 cm of facetting crust lying on the ground.

We could not find any shears in 2 test profiles in the Corbin area. No cracking or whumpfing and no recent avalanches observed.

We skied treeline like it was Moderate danger, mostly due to feeling out of touch with the mountains after a week of eating and lazing on the couch. We limited our exposure to large features and skied one at a time when we were close under the bowl on McGill (we avoided skiing in the bowl). Below Treeline felt like it was Low.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide