[MCR] Rockies Dolomite Peak area

Subject: [MCR] Rockies Dolomite Peak area
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:59:32 -0800
I was skeptical about conditions up the icefields parkway after hearing
reports of 80cm ski pens in facets at Bow Summit, but we were able to find
some great skiing yesterday (Feb 10).  Near the highway we found 15cm of
fist density storm snow over 15cm of 1 finger density snow and extensive
faceting beneath.  Off the trail we were punching through at lower
elevations, but the snowpack was mostly supportive above about 2100m.
Visibility was fairly limited, but we did see one massive cornice
overhanging a SE aspect and some pretty extensive windscoured slopes in the
alpine.  We were able to find good skiing on a more sheltered feature.  The
storm snow provided nice powder turns on a mostly supportive upper midpack
although a light touch was required to prevent breaking through in the
thinner areas.  No signs of recent avalanche activity but we stayed clear of
slopes steep enough to slide.  Another 3cms or so fell throughout the day
under fairly calm skies.

Cheers,
Shaun King
Alpine Guide & Asst. Ski Guide