[MCR] Rockies - Crowfoot trees

Subject: [MCR] Rockies - Crowfoot trees
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:02:17 -0700
In Crowfoot Trees today, Feb 11.

Snowpack depth was variable but in the 240 cm range where I probed at treeline. A supportive mid-pack but a sudden planar shear on the Jan 26 layer 60 cm from the surface. At the location I looked the layer was a distinct 4F weakness between harder layers, about 3 cm thick.

Windloading was evident on the ridges above and several avalanches size 2-2.5 were observed, often involving large chunks of cornice. Some slabs were triggered on the fans below the cliffs. Although it didn't seem like the debris was running past the bottom of the fans, one avalanche did dust a ski line.

The largest cornice in the area did not budge today...

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide