[MCR] updated persistent weak layers paper

Subject: [MCR] updated persistent weak layers paper
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:01:12 -0800
I have updated the persistent weak layers paper I originally wrote in late January. You can find the updated paper at: http://www.avalancheinfo.net/Media/Persistent%20Weak%20Layers%20and%20the%20Winter%20of%202007-08.pdf or by going to www.avalanche.ca, clicking on the CAC link, and looking for the link to persistent weak layers info on the main page.

The update discusses the January 26th layer which is now dormant and about 100cm down in most BC ranges as well as the up and coming February 25th layer which is being buried as we speak and became active in select locations in the last 24 hours or so. I also review some more risk management concepts and go over some of the factors that tend to trigger or reactivate dormant PWLs.

The February 25th layer is showing great potential as a performer. I suspect it will become active more readily and will react on a more widespread basis than Jan 26th. This coming weekend could be when we reach critical load and slab properties on this layer, especially in the Cariboo, Selkirk, and Monashee Mountains. Keep your heads up on this one folks.

Cheers,

Karl Klassen
Mountain Guide
1735 Westerburg Road