[MCR] Bush River access & Mt. Columbia

Subject: [MCR] Bush River access & Mt. Columbia
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:19:57 -0600

Trip up the Bush River to Columbia Meadows

On August 17 we drove up the Bush River logging road with the intention to
get to camp at the Columbia Meadows, between the two upper forks of Bush
River. The road ends at almost exactly km100, where the bridge across the
river has been removed. The road is generally in really good shape and a
two-wheel drive vehicle with reasonable clearance should be sufficient. For
the last 2.5km the willows are starting to grow in, brushing the sides of
the vehicle. There used to be a foot bridge just downsream of the road, but
it is gone as well. We attempted to ford, but with the hot weather the water
was too deep and fast.

We camped there and tried again first thing in the morning, with the same
result. The river level only dropped a few cms overnight. A trip to Golden
to get an extesion ladder made the crossing possible at the old bridge site.
8.5m is just long enough to get both ends on solid ground. From there it is
easy travel up the old road and to the upper edge of the third cutblock.
>From here a rough quad track has been cut to treeline and makes life much
easier with big packs through the bush. We had trouble finding water (except
a small seep way down in the trees) and had to go all the way up the slab
ramps until we were on the uphill side of the moraine. In the vicinity of
674732 there are several small ponds and good campsites to choose from. The
hot day culminated in a huge thunderstorm with hail. Showers and
thunderstorms continued for most of the night.

August 19 and 20 were spent mostly in the tent, trying to keep dry. The snow
level started to move down the mountains.

August 21 started with heavy rain and fog. Some improvement mid-morning
revealed a substantial amount of new snow on Mt. Columbia and surrounding
peaks to mountain base. We took advantage of the the short break to pack up
and head for a drier world.

Kobi Wyss
Mountain Guide
tibi1@xxxxxxx