[MCR] Cauldron E. Glacier - Glacier Creek Purcells

Subject: [MCR] Cauldron E. Glacier - Glacier Creek Purcells
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:04:49 -0800

We found some great early season skiing on the furthest glacier east of Cauldron Mountain today.  Snowline on the access road started above 3700 ft. and with chains and a 4x4 truck we were only able to drive to ~4500 ft. where a hard 25cm melt freeze crust forced us to skin the remaining 9km on the road.  The very supportive crust made for quick travel though and hazards were well covered but more snow is needed below treeline to smooth out the bumps and fill in the creeks. A few cm?s of powder over top made getting an edge in reasonable.  The crust dissipated at about 6500 ft.

Height of snow below treeline 0-50cm, at treeline 50-75cm and in the alpine 80-150cm to our high point of 9000ft.

Widespread wind scouring noted on windward alpine slopes, especially at ridgetop.  We had nice turns on 10-15cm powder over a strong midpack on the glacier and into treeline on a wind sheltered north aspect.  Some crevasses were open on the glacier but easy to spot and bridges were stiff with the dense midpack.

Of note was valley bottom surface hoar up to 15mm (down to 4mm at treeline) and easy sloughing of new snow over the crust on steep BTL (below treeline) features.  Keep an eye out for windslabs in the alpine and at treeline.

Several thin slabs had pulled out on the steep ice slopes below the Cauldron E. face to size 1.5

Enjoy,

Shaun King

Alpine Guide, Asst. Ski Guide

JPEG image