[MCR] Rockies: Goodsir Towers

Subject: [MCR] Rockies: Goodsir Towers
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:30:02 -0600
Spent the past few days in the Goodsirs.

The high road in to the Ice River has a lot of deadfall on it right now and we got stopped about a km short of the end. The lower Ice River road that starts at km 19.5 on Beaverfoot main may be OK, it was fine in June when I scoped the roads out, but the high road was clean then too.

The trail in has numerous deadfall areas too and that slows travel occasionally.

Climbed the South Tower on August 8 via the SW Ridge up and down and it is dry as a bone. The W Face couloir still has some snow but looks like it receives regular rockfall. The SW Ridge is similar in character to the SW face of Assiniboine except it is steeper, looser, more exposed and longer. I can't recommend it.

August 9 and 10 were cloudy and showery with thunderstorms the evening of the 9th so we got snookered on our ambitions for the N Tower. The upper two-thirds of the couloir leading to the North-Centre col is snow covered and looks like good travelling. There is a bit of snow on the lower part of the V ledge on the North Tower, the upper part of the V looked dry but I don't think you can see into the depths of that cleft from where we were camped.

Lots of mosquitoes.

Mark Klassen
Mountain Guide
www.alpinism.com