[MCR] Polar Circus cornice failures

Subject: [MCR] Polar Circus cornice failures
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:51:31 -0700
A huge cornice failure on Polar Circus on Thursday added a little excitement to our day, and we thought we should give a heads up. There was a report yesterday of another failure in the same place that was heard but unwitnessed.

On Thursday, temps got up to -3.0 in the shade, skies mostly cloudy. Overall, ice was plentiful and soft, mostly dry. At ~11:30, the sun had just briefly come on to the uppermost sections of the face and we had just traversed the big bench in the middle (just above where the pencil tops out) and were racking up at the base of the headwall when a summit cornice well to climber's right of the last pitch broke off. (Yesterday's collapse also occurred at about the same time.) The sonic boom when it released allowed us just enough time to look up and witness armageddon carom off the face and come straight towards us. We just made it under a rock alcove before most of the bench was strafed with large blocks of ice and rock, including the base of and first pitch of the headwall. Multiple 3-5m wide impact craters resulted along the bench.

That said, right now there are still numerous remaining cornices threatening the upper tier, although none of these are visible from the threatened area. These were likely formed during reverse loading conditions by the early winter arctic outflow systems, and are still extensive along the ridge above the climb. Currently, the sun does directly hit those to the left of the climb late in the morning, and the headwall pitches may be exposed to these. Something to watch out for.

Carl Johnston, RG
Nicholas Rapaich, AAG, ASG