[MCR] Rogers Pass Nov. 2-4

Subject: [MCR] Rogers Pass Nov. 2-4
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 01:27:03 +0000
We spent the last 3 days skiing around the Illecillewaet Neve at Rogers Pass under sunny skies. Nov. 2nd we accessed the Neve by the Perley Rock Summer Trail. Nov. 3rd we summitted Terminal Peak North, and Nov. 4th Youngs Peak.

Snow
We managed to put skins on our skis around 1900m on the way up the summer trail, the same point we managed to ski down to today over many rocks (20-30cm at this point). Snow depth on the glaciers ranged from around 30cm where we accessed the Neve at 2300m to 140cm near the Bergschrund on the approach to Terminal Peak North, but mostly around 50-70cm.

A quick profile at 2775m, SE aspect near the Bergschrund on the approach to Terminal Peak had a foot penetration of 75cm, and a right side up snowpack with no significant shear results.

Excellent skiing on glaciers, still too rocky anywhere else.

Temperatures
Warm temperatures observed. Minimum of -8.0 deg overnight Nov 2/3, and maximum of +4 deg at 7am Nov 4th, although obviously it got much warmer than that.

Avalanches

Several avalanches up to size 2 observed on W and NW aspects 2300-2700m, suspect ran on Neve. Most notable were on Youngs peak, some running from near the cornice to the flats below, nearly 300m vertical.

Alex Geary (Assistant Ski Guide & Assistant Rock Guide)
Fred Amyot (Assistant Ski Guide & Assistant Rock Guide)