[MCR] Midday Peak, Selkirk Mountains near Salmo

Subject: [MCR] Midday Peak, Selkirk Mountains near Salmo
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:15:05 -0700
Had a sunny hike/ski in the Barrett Creek drainage today near Salmo. We reached the summit of Midday Peak just after noon. There was a whopping 45cm of snow at 1925m on the summit. The snow fully covered the ground above about 1500m. Air temperatures ranged from just above freezing in the valley in the morning to around 10C at noon on the summit. Temperatures plummeted rapidly as the sun went down.

I took skis (the eternal optimist!) and my buddies took snowshoes. Snowshoes were the better option. The skiing sucked on the breakable crust, but I still had fun!.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Assistant Ski Guide.