[MCR] Rockies: Louise Falls slough/avalanche (Feb 16, 2011)

Subject: [MCR] Rockies: Louise Falls slough/avalanche (Feb 16, 2011)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:37:16 -0700
Rockies: Louise Falls slough/avalanche (Feb 16, 2011)

I got a bit of a surprise today while leading the pillar on Louise Falls. A good-sized slough/avalanche rocketed over my head when I was about halfway up the pillar itself. As for size, it was probably only 0.5 but had some force and definitely contained harder, larger chunks. It flowed primarily to my right (by a couple meters) but filled the back of my jacket and hood with snow. If I was a few body lengths higher and pulling onto the ledge, I bet it could have knocked me off. Once on top and in the trees, I discovered it had started from the shallow, treed gully directly above the route. I am unsure of the trigger (no sun and the afternoon snow squalls had not yet begun), but it had scoured the loose snow and looked like it took a couple of the snow mushrooms with it (hence the chunks). Despite being a small feature, the constant weekly storms must have loaded it enough to produce a loose snow avalanche.

It has traditionally been general consensus that Louise Falls does not have avalanche hazard above it (the walk-off descent definitely has avalanche hazard but that is a different story), however, many avalanche professionals have been surprised this winter already and this incident only adds to my concern regarding this winter's snowpack in the Rockies, particularly for ice climbers.

Sean Isaac
ACMG Alpine Guide