[MCR] Greenwood/Jones, Mt. Temple

Subject: [MCR] Greenwood/Jones, Mt. Temple
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:11:08 -0600
Yesterday, B. Firth and I climbed the Greenwood/Jones route on Mt. Temple’s North face.

We found excellent conditions up until the shattered black limestone band, just above the green band and before the 50m traverse left to a single piton.  After which we encountered up to 20cm of snow on low angled ledges and sheltered areas, slowing the climbing down considerably.  The summit ridge is still hugely doubled corniced and we gave them a wide berth.  Temple’s South West ridge is free of snow until just below the summit.

The northern lights display from Larch Valley was amazing.

A far better route description can be found at www.summitpost.org

Kristopher Irwin
ACMG – Assistant Alpine Guide
Banff