[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan Brook - Nov.15/11

Subject: [MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Asulkan Brook - Nov.15/11
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:00:42 -0800

I decided it was time to check out something different and headed up the Asulkan (aka A-Sloggin!) Brook today with fellow Guide Anne Keller.

Trail is well covered with 10cms. of new snow overnight covering the previously broken trail.

Similar snowpack depths to Connaught Ck. – perhaps slightly deeper (120 cms in valley bottom).

Lots of wind action on Youngs Peak (not a surprise) but less wind effect at Teeline and below compared to what I saw yesterday in the Connaught drainage.

No problem with bushes heading to the “Tree Triangle” below Asulkan hut, but it is pretty aldery after the” Mouse Trap” if you were trying to head towards Sapphire Col.

Of note avalanche wise were several slab avalanches below the Jupiter Peaks. The whole of the East face of Leda had released from the top, as well as 2 deeper slabs on glacial rolls above the “Thorington” route and below Pollyx Pk. (those didn’t run far due to the bench below them) – I am suspecting the upper ones were on the October 20 surface hoar layer, given the depth and elevation – the slab on Leda’s east face looked shallower.

I ran into some other Guides who were up Connaught today and they mentioned a new slab avalanche(since yesterday afternoon) off the East side of the ridge leading to Bruins Pass (this is the slope that runs into Ursus Minor bowl) – they said they saw 2 people on the ridge but no way to know if this was a natural event or perhaps a remotely triggered from the ridge. Sorry I don’t know size and extent.

Sounds like more snow on the way starting tomorrow afternoon!

Cheers,

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide