[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Grizzly Shoulder - Nov.17/11

Subject: [MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Grizzly Shoulder - Nov.17/11
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:20:59 -0800

First trip up Grizzly Shoulder this year – but I was far from alone – lots of skiers there today enjoying the 30cms of low density fluff we received overnight. Fairly good coverage for this time of year, and as usual a bit of an athletic uptrack especially near the bottom.

I noticed a new snow instability within the overnight snowfall, down about 15cms., that sloughed in steeper open glades in the trees, but I didn’t see anything deeper reacting on small rolls that I ski cut.

I met some locals from Revelstoke that had skied in Ursus Trees today, they mentioned that the “Frequent Flyer” avalanche path( just past the first bridge on the summer trail) had run across the trail before they crossed it early this morning. I didn’t see any other avalanche activity but visibility was quite limited.

Snow flurries all day and strong gusty winds from the West were evident near the top of the shoulder.

On another note, the Army, and more importantly the 105 Howitzer, arrives tomorrow marking the beginning of the Winter permit season in Rogers Pass – so a bit of a change for those that have been skiing for the last while – Time to check in with the Discovery Center at Rogers Pass to find out what is and isn’t open for the day (includes Grizzly shoulder)and pick up your daily permit. Mat at the Parks office figures he will have things set up for the annual permits by tomorrow afternoon.

Looks like a nice weekend coming up!

Cheers,

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide