[MCR] Cascade Falls, Banff. Nov. 20th

Subject: [MCR] Cascade Falls, Banff. Nov. 20th
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:46:42 -0700
Had a great day climbing Cascade falls today with Barret Hatton.
Busy day up there with up to 10 people or so at various points on the route below us as we topped out.
The route protected well taking 16cm screws pretty much the whole way, the first steep pitch was wet with easy tool placements the whole way. The last pitch has some funky mushrooms to get through but good hooks too. The upper half of the pitch needed a bit of a delicate touch as the tube is still a bit thin in places.
Lot's of wind transport going on in the alpine up there today. Felt pretty confident to stick with our plan this morning with the forecast light winds, and what looked like minimal snow in the start zones above the route, but when we hit the last pitch those changed to well in excess of 40km/h and put a pretty good hop in my step wanting to get out from under any features that were being overloaded above.
We decided not to rappel the route, mostly because of the change in the winds but also because of the amount of people below us. Walked across the top of the wall to the south and did one single pitch rappel from a bolt & chain station and then walked down next to Rogan's Gulley.

Great day out with great company.
Have fun out there!

Mike Trehearne
ACMG Alpine & Asst. Ski Guide