[MCR] Icefall Peak, Rockies

Subject: [MCR] Icefall Peak, Rockies
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:45:59 -0700
On Friday Nov 18 at 1 pm on the approach to Icefall Lodge, I observed an
avalanche coming off the east face of Icefall Peak. This is in the western
Rockies about 15 km east of Mt Forbes. The fracture line was on an east aspect
at about 2900m. The avalanche ran full path reaching the valley bottom at
1000m, 1900m vertical! I didn't get a good look at the debris so it is hard to
speculate on the size of the avalanche but definitely big. There were strong
east winds at ridge top during the day on Friday. While this information is a
bit dated now and the winds calmed down for Saturday and Sunday, there is still
the potential for large avalanches running full path.
Snow depth at valley bottom (1000m) was 40 cm; at the lodge (1900m) 130 cm. No
other signs avalanches were observed. Temperatures were -12 to - 19.

Larry Dolecki
Mountain Guide
www.icefall.ca

image/jpg