[MCR] The Ghost

Subject: [MCR] The Ghost
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 16:19:56 +0000
Hello,

Spent the day in the Ghost yesterday.

We started the day on Wicked Wanda which is in similar shape to previous posts. Good climbing on the first pitch and extremely wet on the second. We were able to make it to the chains at the half way point with a few delicate moves. We choose not to climb the second pitch because of the volume of water.

Reports from another party said that malignant mushroom was in good shape but a little wet.

We drove to the GBU area which had 3 good climbing lines. While we were there we ran into fellow Guide Sarah Hueniken who had made an attempt to get into the Valley of the Birds with no luck (Dry tooling on slick rock with no ice).

Driving conditions were good with no more than 5-10cm of snow with no drifting. There is one crossing going into the South Ghost that smaller vehicles might have problems with as there is a bit of an ice shelf after a deeper pool. The North Ghost driving was in good condition.

The wind picked up in the afternoon and there was intense wind transport at treeline and above. We observed one size 2.5-3 avalanche triggered by the wind event from a steep East facing alpine feature from the peak at the far end of the North Ghost. Although there is little snow in the Ghost I would be looking out for those deeper areas you come across.

Thanks to Bryce and Patrick who saved us from a major epic after we blew a coolant line on the logging road!!

Jesse de Montigny
ACMG/UIAGM Mountain Guide
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures