[MCR] Evening Ridge, near Nelson, BC

Subject: [MCR] Evening Ridge, near Nelson, BC
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:39:30 -0800

Curious about conditions after the storm, we had time for one quick run at Evening Ridge this morning.  We found about 100cm at the parking lot (1500m) with 20-25cm of new low density snow sitting on a 4cm thick rain crust.  This crust disappeared at ~1800m indicating freezing levels did not go as high as expected.

A test pit at 1870m showed variable snow depths from 150-190cm but averaging ~170cm.  We had easy but resistant shears down 17cm at the most recent storm snow interface and hard shears down 110cm that were below an older 3mm rain crust and giving inconsistent fracture characteristics.

The trail breaking was a bit of work with up to 40cm ski pen and a few alders to bust through below ~1650m.

Ski quality was excellent up high but below 1650m you could really feel the rain crust beneath the new snow and had to pick your line carefully through the alders.

We experienced no significant cracking or whumpfing, and saw no recent slabs out, but had limited visibility and saw nothing of the alpine.  We stayed in the trees and away from larger, steep, open slopes.

Here is a short clip that gives you an idea of the ski quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrIN-87enSg

Cheers,
Shaun King  ACMG / UIAGM Mountain Guide
Mountain Sense Guiding & Instruction