[MCR] Athabasca Glacier -Toe

Subject: [MCR] Athabasca Glacier -Toe
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:32:51 -0700
Crevasse rescue & glacier travel course on the Athabasca glacier this day. We did not venture above 2200 Meters. It felt like a North Pole expedition with strong winds gusting to gale force from the SW and snowing 2-3 cm's an hour at times.Temperatures were moderate with a low of -5.

There was 50-70 cm's of snow on the glacier with wind drifts greater than 250 cm's deep. Intense snow transport occurring with major winds buffeting the peaks at high elevations. Difficult to estimate total accumulation due to the winds but about 10 - 15cm's below 2200 Meters. Highway, though snowy, was in surprisingly good shape with fresh plowing.

Carrying my ski's down <20 degree slope, I broke through a supportive wind slab into the basal facet's and had a wumph propagate across a 40 x 50 meter slope.

Eric Dumerac - Professional Mountain Guide - IFMGA/ACMG, CAA II ,CSIA II
✆Canada: Canmore 011- 403-609-1564
Mountain Skills Academy