[MCR] Monashee Mountains - Perry River area

Subject: [MCR] Monashee Mountains - Perry River area
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:49:24 -0800

I figured it was worth posting some info from the Monashees – the locale is north of the TCH highway and west of Revelstoke.

Numerous profiles have established that the Nov.11 Surface hoar layer is widespread within the Treeline elevation(observations of the Alpine terrain have been limited to visual only). Though the layer is collapsed in the profiles we have observed, the crystals are in the 10-15mm. range, this is significantly larger than what I have observed in the Rogers Pass area. Difficult to trigger but still showing the potential to propagate (Sudden Planar compression results as well as positive Propogation Saw Test results).

The majority of the snowpack is well settled which has created a strong slab overlying this deeper persistent weak layer (now down @150cms). The Oct. 20th crust is evident just above the ground interface at this elevation and is generally tied up in the lower ground roughness at this elevation – makes me wonder what is looks like in the Alpine terrain.

Another key observation is the presence of numerous glide slabs (when the whole snowpack is slowly moving on smooth grassy or rock slab features) – some in places where we have never seen them before – there could have been a couple of releases today but foggy weather made observations difficult.

Temps dropped this afternoon accompanied with significant winds – last nights and today’s snowfall improved ski conditions significantly from yesterdays shin bruising freezing rain crust.

Lots of uncertainty about what is going on up high and we have been avoiding larger open steep treeline features – still lots of great skiing with better than average early season coverage!

Cheers,

Scott Davis

AACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide