[MCR] South Western BC, Manning Park

Subject: [MCR] South Western BC, Manning Park
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:09:24 -0800
I was in Manning Park for the past four days. The snow pack is well settled and
the hazard at Tree Line and below was moderate if not low where I traveled. I
did not see, or hear any info about recent avalanches.

At about1800m on an E aspect there was about 1.3 m of snow. On the surface and
also 5 cm below the surface there is 5 mm size surface hoar. The first 20 cm is
nice light fist density powder below this are 3 ice laminations followed by a
progressively hardening and solid pack. Just above the heather are rounded
bottom facets. I got hard irregular compression tests between the ice layers.

The sun has baked true S aspects a bit and made a very thin ice crust. The
north aspects are good skiing.

Dave Sarkany
Ski Guide