[MCR] Fairy Meadows- Adamants/Selkirks

Subject: [MCR] Fairy Meadows- Adamants/Selkirks
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 22:45:34 -0600
Hi all,

Sarah Hueniken & I just spent July 28-Aug 1st in the Fairy Meadows area with a group of guests.

  The weather over the 5 days was quite convective with storms and lightening at any time of the day.  In general we had good overnight freezes which made for fast and easy travel on the snow.  On July 31 & Aug 1st the surface snow did not refreeze and we saw several size 1 point releases as well as increased icefall avalanches and rockfall.   The north face of Yggdrasil (gothics glacier area) had an older size 3 slab release to glacier ice- perhaps from early July.

  Rock ridge routes in the area were free of any new snow with lingering winter snow at higher elevations.  The glacier coverage is still very good with well bridged crevasses.  The north face glacier routes on Adamant look like they have become more challenging with glacier recession which has increased the icefall hazard in the area.  Mt Austerity via the Ironman Austerity col looked to have reasonable crossings over the bergshrund.  We were unable to climb through the two bergshrunds on Pioneer pass but this might be possible with a better freeze and a short section of overhanging ice climbing.

  We helicoptered in and out of the hut as the drive to Swan Creek and the hiking trail in both sounded difficult or perhaps impassible.

Have fun out there!

Kirsten Knechtel
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
www.kirstenknechtel.com