[MCR] Kootenay Pass, White Queen near Nelson, Selkirk Mountains

Subject: [MCR] Kootenay Pass, White Queen near Nelson, Selkirk Mountains
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:45:53 -0800
I spent the last two days guiding some guests in the Nelson area. Yesterday we went to Kootenay Pass. We parked at the pull-out east of the pass near where the power lines cross the highway. We toured up the south face of Windy Ridge toward Rock Ridge Pass, then skied down the north side into the Carolina Creek drainage. Unfortunately, the warm temps of the past week have now made the north aspects crusty. The crust was thin but skiable with aggressive turns. We finished the trip by touring out through Pristine Pass. By the time we got there, the snow had turned to mashed potatoes. This produced the biggest hazard of the trip - loose, wet sluffs.

Today we went up the west ridge of White Queen and skied down the north ridge that joins Mt. Beattie. Again we experienced the same skiable north aspect crust. We got down early and so avoided the afternoon schmoo.

The daytime temperatures were well above freezing, even up to 2100m elevation. The temperature at 9AM today at the Hummingbird Pass parking lot was +2. I guess spring has arrived.

Play safely.

Craig Hollinger,
ACMG Apprentice Ski Guide.