[MCR] Wapta Traverse, April 14-18

Subject: [MCR] Wapta Traverse, April 14-18
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:42:09 -0600

I guided the Wapta Traverse for OnTop Mountaineering from April 14-18, starting at Peyto Lake and finishing via the Sherbrooke Lake exit.  We had mostly good weather and visibility with temperatures ranging from -16C to -5C above treeline, and generally light winds.  It is still very winter-like above 2400 metres.  Snow stability was good in all areas travelled.

We used ski crampons on the ascent of the moraine to access the Peyto Glacier.

Great travel through the Balfour High Col on April 17th, with brilliant sunshine and moderate winds keeping temperatures cool all day (-10C).  Despite the cool temps, we observed some minor icefall off the seracs on the east face of Mount Balfour, with debris stopping well back from the ski ascent line.

The exit to the Great Divide Lodge via Sherbrooke Lake on April 18th was sun crusted at treeline on solar aspects making for some challenging skiing, but the summer trail was still in excellent skiing condition between Sherbrooke Lake and the Trans Canada highway.

Jordy Shepherd

ACMG / IFMGA Mountain Guide

CAA Professional Member

Email: jordy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx